Tuesday 4 May 2010

Goats and growth

I have added lots of photo's today which I took over the weekend, in the photo's you can see everything is coming along nicely!
Rhubarb has come up and I have planted another crown pink champagne also in pictures you can see my horseradish which I planted in big plastic pot at side of tunnel is coming along nice.

My mangetout has sprouted also ones in front of shed have grown nicely despite the cold, germination rate for these has been more or less 100% as stated previously they are golden sweet from dobies. Must admit to being really pleased with how things are coming along spuds are now growing and all showing lots of greenery as you can see in photos. The cabbages you can see behind the blue debris netting are Atlas F1, the herb area is going along nice too.

The picture of the long bed has a few crops situated in it which are all showing signs of life including turnips, beetroot, pak choi and broad beans. I am still waiting for signs of life from my jeruselem artichokes but heres hoping.

We have not had any problems yet with pests of the normal kind I do admit to using slug pellets so hopefully no damage from them but as the title of this post says something else has had a go.
Stapleton allotments is set on the edge of Bristol with the M32 behind and surrounded by small holdings the small holder nearest to us and in particular my plot does not grow he keeps animals mainly chickens but also geese, ducks and goats. The latter ones being the main problem at the moment as they keep coming on to the allotments and they eat everything in front of them, thankfully it has been mostly bramble from around the edges but unfortunately they took a liking to my strawberry plants and Anna's sunflowers. The guy who has the holding is approachable so spoke to him and hopefully this will not happen again. I hope whoever reads this enjoys the pictures I have posted and can see the progress being made I suppose I should tell you what I have done today.

Today I have taken a risk and planted out my climbing french bean(cobra) and runner bean St george some people will say it is too early but I have plenty spare so if I lose them to a late frost I will just plant some more. I have also sowed more beetroot cylindria and detroit 2 and some iceburg lettuce. My squashes are almost ready to go out but I held off today, when I do plant them out in the next week I will use my homemade cloches which I have made from the water cooler bottles just for added protection from cold air and winds!

Speak to you all soon.






























































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment