Sunday 31 October 2010

Back from the wilderness

Hello to anyone reading blog sorry for not posting.

Our first full year has been a great success and we can not fault productivity of plot and what we have grown with a couple of exceptions.

I will start with the negatives for the year they are as follows-

Evesham sprouts all blown not sure if this is to do with too much nitrogen, although I did read on GYO grapevine that they are prone to this. We will try a different variety next year.

Mellons in the tunnel only had 3 eatable ones off 5 plants, I think I may have planted them too late. We will do more research and reading on how to grow these for next year but will try again.

Gooseberry, redcurrant and blackcurrant no fruits on any, we are not sure if this is normal in first year? They are all healthy so lets hope next year brings home the fruit.

Now on to the successful crops which there are plenty as follows-

1. Spuds, spuds, spuds what can I say, our earlies were fantastic cropping and tasting we are just finishing them off now. As soon as they were dug up we threw in some chicken manure pellets and planted Sarpo mira  in same beds which I dug up last week and yet another fantastic crop. We should have enough to see us through until at least spring.

2. Courgettes we now realise 4 plants are far too many and to be honest I am not that keen on them although they are good to give away to family and friends.

3. Butternut squash variety cobnut, they cropped well and taste bloody beautiful.

4. Runner bean St George fantastic cropper and tasted really good.

5. Various pumpkins my personal favourite was turks turban they did not crop as well as the others but their look wins it for me.

6. Florence Fennel this is supposed to be quite difficult to grow so I am impressed by the results I have had. We still have some in the ground and are using as and when.

7. Garlic garlic garlic we have so much there is no danger of vampires visiting us for at least another 6 months, I also planted next years garlic on 12th October 2010.

8. Celeriac ate my first one today with roast lamb and still have over 20 in ground to be picked as and when.

9. Beetroot the wifes favourite loads pickled and loads still in situ on plot.

10. Jeruselem artichokes first time I have ever grown or tasted them they are delicous and did not give me wind as I was told they would(must be my guts of steel).

11. Cabbages in particular Atlas see previous posts for photos.

12. Swedes excellent crop taste good and plenty left in situ for winter use.

13. Mange tout golden sweet they sound like they taste and great croppers.

14. Lots of salad crops lettuce, radishes etc.

15. Strawberries nothing beats the taste of home grown ones.

16. Parsnips we had our first one's today lovely variety was countess.

17. Last but by no means least tomatoes look at previous posts to see varietys and pictures but all I can say they have been coming out of our ears. We have made near on a 100 jars of chutney so family and friends will be sorted at Christmas.

The above are in no particular order but I have to say it has been a garlic, spud and tomatoe year for me.

We have now started planning for next year and number one on my list of priorities is a proper polytunnel, we are looking for something 10ft wide and 25ft long not sure which company to use yet.
Crops we have in ground at presnt are various spring and winter brasicas, garlic, swede, celeriac, parsnips, artichokes, florence fennel and beetroots.

I wont stay away as long this time so I will be back with more updates soon.

Thanks for taking the time to read our blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment