Friday 14 January 2011

Wet and mild as cold air goes back north

After the coldest December on record we are now experiencing very wet and very mild weather, although we did have snow in Bristol it was relativley light compared to the rest of the country. I visited the plot on Tuesday and harvested some parsnips, celeriac and swede and have made a soup and a beef stew. The garlic I planted at the end of autumn has all sprouted, we are using two types one is what I grew last year and saved and the other is called music from http://www.reallygarlicky.co.uk/

Our big project this year will be to purchase and erect a polytunnel we are looking at getting one 10 feet wide by 25 feet long. The main problem I have at the moment is who to buy it from currently first tunnels are winning on price but premier polytunnels won the award for best tunnel supplier in GYO magazine. The differnce in price between the two suppliers is about £60 so I think I will have to do a little more research before deciding.

I love this time of year deciding what we will be growing this season and what we won't, today I have been browsing through seed catalogues and getting enticed by everything I see. My new year resolution is to keep this blog more up to date so hopefully after I finish my dreaded run of 7 straight night shifts I will go down plot and take some photos of things in ground also I hope to start my first seeds of the year off very soon.

Here is to a good growing season and happy new year to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment